Lost Filling: Emergency Dentist Winnipeg
Losing a filling can be frustrating; however it’s not difficult to repair and isn’t normally viewed as a dental emergency. If left untreated, a lost filling can lead to further dental issues and adversely affect your oral health.
Reasons for a lost filling
Fillings can drop out or get lost for a few reasons:
- Once can easily lose a filling from an injury or chewing hard food.
- Fillings can also fall out because of tooth decay around or if you don’t take care of it.
Symptoms of a lost filling
When you lose a filling, it’s sometimes hard to recognize, especially if the filling is small. If you’ve lost a filling you might encounter the following:
- Pain in the tooth that had the filling
- Sensitivity to hot or cold food
- You might feel a hard piece of material in your mouth when you chew on hard food
- You might see a hole or opening in your tooth that had a filling
What do I do when I lose a filling?
Try to stay calm – it’s not abnormal to lose a filling. Some might be clearer than others. When you lose a filling, call your dentist as soon as possible to schedule an appointment to review the situation. When you see your dental specialist, they will analyze the tooth and potentially take x-rays to decide the best course of treatment.
The cost of repairing or replacing a lost filling will vary depending on the state of your tooth and the amount of work required to repair it. Your dental specialist will provide you with an estimate of the cost once they have evaluated your teeth. More often than not, the filling can simply be replaced and won’t require further work.